Saturday, August 17, 2013

The riches of your love will always be enough

Yikes, what happened to this week!?

So, yesterday, I was reading in 2 Kings 4. My main reason was to read the story of the widow’s oil, which I had heard Tony Evans talking about the other night coming home from work. I read that, then continued on. At the end of chapter 4, there is this little, easily-missed story:


A man came from Baal Shalishah (ahh, I love names like that!), bringing the man of God twenty loaves of barely bread baked from the first ripe grain, along with some heads of new grain.

“Give it to the people to eat,” Elisha said.

“How can I set this before a hundred men?” his servant asked.

But Elisha answered, “Give it to the people to eat. For this is what the LORD says: ‘They will eat and have some left over.’”

Then he set it before them, and they ate and had some left over, according to the word of the LORD.


And it struck me how often that happens – that there is “some left over.” It happened with the widow and the oil, with the feeding of a hundred, and with every time Jesus fed thousands of people (Matthew 14:20-21; 15:37-38). It’s one of those things that is sometimes easy to overlook but speaks strongly when you do allow yourself to notice.

God kind of has a habit of taking something that won’t begin to make a dent in a given situation and multiply it to the point that there is something left over. He often doesn’t simply provide what is needed, he provides MORE than what is needed.

It goes with the verse that says, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine” (Ephesians 3:20a).

And it goes with the line from the song “Forever Reign” – “The riches of your love will always be enough.”

One night, a while back, I was thinking about my marriage, my husband, feeling hopeless and frustrated and all of that crap. Begging God to please do something. And that song was on, and it got to that part, and I started crying.

In that moment, I felt a new meaning of those words; I felt like God was saying, “My love is enough, even for this.”

Enough to heal. To free. To restore. To deliver. To redeem. To transform. To use. To conquer. To resurrect. To inspire. To change. To recapture. To calm. To comfort. To counsel. To satisfy. To save to the uttermost.

Even as insurmountable as things seem sometimes, they won’t surpass God’s love. It often feels like it, just like it feels like I will surpass his patience, his grace, his compassion.

But it isn’t true.

His love is enough.
His love is more than enough.
He does do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.
And he works ALL things for the good of those who love him. (Romans 8:28.)

He will do those things that I feel cannot be done, he will change what seems unchangeable, heal what seems irreparable, redeem what seems irredeemable.

And not only will he meet the needs, he will exceed them.
He will do more than I have asked, more than I can imagine.
And there will be some left over.
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment